What is valsartan ?
Valsartan is a combination of two drugs that work in different ways to treat high blood pressure. Valsartan hctz contains two medications: valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Valsartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) and works by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily.
Hydrochlorothiazide is a “water pill” (diuretic) that causes you to make more urine, which helps your body get rid of extra salt and water.
This drug is available as the brand-name drug Diovan HCT. It’s also available as a generic drug.
This drug may be taken with other drugs that reduce blood pressure. These include beta blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, and diuretics.
Hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
valsartan dosage :
- 40 mg
- 60 mg
- 160 mg
Do not use this Medicine if :
- If you are allergic to valsartan or hydrochlorothiazide .
- decreased urination or are unable to urinate
- Don’t use Valsartan hctz medicine if you have Liver disease , Kidney disease , lupus ,Gallstones , asthma and glaucoma .
- Do not use if you are pregnant. Stop using the medicine and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Avoid this Medication while breastfeeding .
- Hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
How this Medicine works ?
Valsartan hctz blocks the action of angiotensin II, a chemical in your body that causes blood vessels to tighten and narrow. This helps to relax and widen your blood vessels, which lowers your blood pressure.
Hydrochlorothiazide may work by removing sodium (salt) and water from your body. This helps reduce your blood pressure.
valsartan side effects :
he more common side effects that can occur with valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide include:
- nose and throat infections
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
- eye pain, vision problems;
- an unusual skin rash;
- little or no urinating;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding;
- a seizure;
Things to avoid while taking valsartan hydrochlorothiazide ?
- Hydrochlorothiazide may increase your risk of skin cancer. Avoid sunlight or tanning beds.
- Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes, unless your doctor has told you .
- Drinking alcohol can further lower your blood pressure and may cause side effects.
- Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan will affect you. Your reactions could be impaired. Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy.
- It is unknown if valsartan hctz passes into breast milk. Hydrochlorothiazide passes into breast milk, but is unlikely to harm a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Note this :
Remember, keep valsartan hctz and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
There are no reviews yet.