Doxycycline 100 mg oral tablet is available as both a generic and brand-name drug.
Brand names: Acticlate, Doryx, Doryx MPC, DOXY T ,Tetracycline
Doxycycline 100 mg is used for the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections such as infection of the lungs, throat, airways, skin, eye and genital. It is also used along with other medications to treat acne & prevent malaria.
It kills bacteria, which helps to improve your symptoms and cure the infection. This medication is known as a tetracycline antibiotic. It will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Using any antibiotic when it is not needed can cause it to not work for future infections.
It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name version.
It contains doxycycline as an active ingredient. Doxycycline or any antibiotic should not be used when you are not sure if the infection is due to bacteria, unnecessary use of antibiotics can make it ineffective for future treatment.
always consult your doctor if you have any previous history of allergy to any antibiotic before taking Doxycycline 100 mg capsules . You should also let your doctor know all other medicines you are taking as they may affect, or be affected by this medicine.
Doxycycline 100mg Dosage
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor’s orders or the directions on the label. Your dosage, drug form, and how often you take the drug will depend on:
- your age
- the condition being treated
- strength of the medicine
- how severe your condition is
- other medical conditions you have
- how you react to the first dose
- the number of doses you take each day
- time allowed between dose
- the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
Forms and strengths
- Form: oral tablet
- Strengths: 20 mg, 50 mg, 75 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg
- Form: delayed-release oral tablet
- Strengths: 50 mg, 75 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg
Dosage for infection
- Adults : 100 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours on the first day, then 100 mg once a day or 50 to 100 mg every 12 hours.
- Children : 8 years of age or older weighing 45 kilograms (kg) or more—100 mg every 12 hours on the first day, then 100 mg once a day or 50 to 100 mg every 12 hours.
For the prevention of malaria :
- Adults—100 milligrams (mg) once a day. You should take the first dose 1 or 2 days before traveling to an area where malaria may occur, and continue taking the medicine every day throughout your travel and for 4 weeks after you leave the malarious area.
- Children – 8 years of age or older weighing 45 kilograms (kg) or more—100 mg once a day. You should take the first dose 1 or 2 days before traveling to an area where malaria may occur, and continue taking the medicine every day throughout your travel and for 4 weeks after you leave the malarious area.
For anthrax :
- Adults : adults and children weighing 45 kilograms (kg) or more—100 milligrams (mg) two times a day (taken every 12 hours) for 60 days.
- Children : Children weighing less than 45 kg—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The dose is usually 2.2 mg per kg of body weight per day, two times a day for 60 days.
where to store
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light .
keep this medicine away from children .
always check expiry of medicine when you store it .
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
How to use Doxycycline 100 mg ?
Take Doxycycline medicine only directed by your doctor. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. To do so may increase the chance of side effects.
Read and follow the instructions carefully which comes along with medication . Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
You should remember Following things while taking Doxycycline 100 mg
- Swallow the capsule whole
- Do not break, crush, chew, or open it.
- drink with water
How it works
This drug works by blocking a bacterial protein from being made. It does this by binding to certain units of the protein. This stops the protein from growing and treats your infection.
Doxycycline 100 mg uses
- For the treatment of bacterial infections associated with lungs, throat, airways, eye, skin & genitals .
- It also you useful for acne .
- used for the treatment of malaria
- used to treat Lyme disease
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
doxycycline 100mg side effects
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- severe diarrhea
- bloody diarrhea
- blurry vision
- vision loss
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible side effects.
This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always discuss possible side effects with a healthcare provider who knows your medical history.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch) or by phone (1-800-332-1088).
What if overdose ?
Do not take overdose of any medicine it will harm your body .
If the victim Overdose & has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can’t be awakened, immediately Contact your doctor as soon as possible .
What if Missed Dose ?
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible.
if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
What other information should you know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor Regularly. Your doctor will will check how your body response to doxycycline 100 mg .
Before having any laboratory test, tell your doctor and the laboratory personnel that you are taking doxycycline.
Be aware of that not anyone else taking your medicine. Do not suggest anyone to take medicine behalf your opinion . Your prescription is probably not refillable. If you still have symptoms of infection after you finish the doxycycline, call your doctor.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements.
You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
Which drugs you should avoid with doxycycline ?
Do not use these drugs with doxycycline. Doing so can cause dangerous effects in your body. Examples of these drugs include:
- Penicillin. Doxycycline may interfere with how penicillin kills bacteria.
- Isotretinoin. Taking isotretinoin and doxycycline together can increase your risk of intracranial hypertension.
Precautions and Warnings while taking Doxycycline 100 mg
Do not use Doxycycline tablet in pregnancy . It may affect the teeth or bone development of the foetus.
we always recommend you to not take any medicines while driving , Sometime Medicine leads you to sleep so it become reason for the accident so avoid taking any pills while driving .
Don’t consume this medicine with alcohol . Alcohol reduces the activity of Doxycycline 100mg tablet. It is advised to avoid alcohol intake during the treatment.
doxycycline 100mg Capsule is safe to use in patients with kidney disease. No dose adjustment of doxycyline Capsule is recommended.
However, talk to your doctor if you have any underlying kidney disease.
For how long do I need to take Doxy-100 tablet ?
You are supposed to complete the prescribed duration by your physician.
Can I drink milk while taking Doxycycline Capsule ?
No, you should avoid using milk and milk products while taking Doxycycline capsules .
What does Doxy 100 tablet contains ?
Doxy 100 tablet is an antibiotic medicine. It contains the antibiotic doxycycline.
can we use doxycycline 100mg twice a day for covid ?
Its not sure yet but you can consult you doctor for more explanation .
is doxycycline a powerful antibiotic ?
What is doxycycline price is it cheap ?
yes it is affordable
From Where I can Buy doxycycline 100 mg online ?
Always buy medicine from trusted sites where you can get exact information about it .
there are plenty of sites on internet from where you can buy medicines Medsloop is one of them.
What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Doxy-100 tablet ?
- Your doctor should be informed about your detailed medical & surgical history
- If you have liver or kidney related disease
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or, planning to have a baby
- If you are taking any other medicines including supplements or herbal products
How long does Doxycycline 100mg Capsule takes to work ?
Usually, Doxycycline 100mg starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Is the Doxycycline 100 mg a steroid medicine ?
How many hours apart should you take Doxycycline 100mg ?
You should take Doxycycline 100mg exactly as directed by the doctor. The doctor will decide the dose and frequency .
conclusion & Disclaimer :
Always consult your doctor before taking any Medicines .
Medicine can harm your body if you consume it without consulting or knowing its side effects.
The information provided here is for informational purposes only. This may not cover all possible side effects,
Please consult your doctor and discuss all your queries related to any disease or medicine. We intend to support, not replace, the doctor-patient relationship.